30 November 2006

Back to Protocol

Jackie and I definitely had a certain connection, I thought. It was probably true. We started talking with each other even more often than before the party. But, she then gave me some news that affected my way of thinking.

No one had noticed my quietness at school that week following the party. To them, it was probably all the same without any significant change. To me, everything was different. I thought that there was definitely a future if Jackie and I had been together rather than how the situation was at that time.

We were clicking. There was this “thing” between us, even if neither of us admitted to it overtly. She probably thought the same way, but was then kept silent by the fact that I had already been taken. Actually, she probably took the deterrence a little further.

Within only a week or two after her birthday party, Jackie found herself another boyfriend. I do not recall how she gave me the news, but I got it, loud and clear. In a way, it was more of a blessing than a swift kick to my hopes.

Just before I received the word, I was seriously thinking about breaking up with Adrienne, so that I may try something out with Jackie. I was ready to do it, but then Jackie gave me her wonderful news. Like a new car with anti-lock brakes and fresh rubber, everything stopped on a dime.

I felt a little betrayed, of course, but it was her decision. I was not involved. It was not as if she and I really had anything going with each other anyway. So, as quickly as my heart had flown towards her, it had receded back into its former place, putting everything back to normal.

By normal, I mean that I actually stopped talking to Jackie on the phone. I figured that there was no reason to do so anymore. I also cut all contact with her including our internet chats. She had another person she could talk to, which was her newfound boyfriend that seemingly came from nowhere. I also still had Adrienne, who was always there, at least every once in a while, anyway.

What unfolded was actually a great relief. There was no longer any dilemma because in a all actuality, Jackie liked someone else more than she liked me. At least, that was what I told myself. Whether or not it was true, thinking it made everything better. Not having any contact with her also made forgetting her that much easier.

I was back to normal in my outside life as well. I talked at school as much I did before any “dilemma” ever hit me. Nobody had ever noticed that something had happened. Life was good again.

But, like all good things, it had to come to an end.

No comments: