22 February 2007

Welcome Freshmen

I started college at the University of California in Riverside that fall of 2002. It did not really feel too different except that my classes were sparse, and I had to drive myself to and from school forty minutes each way, everyday.

I found my niche quickly. More accurately, I found a group to hang out with. It was long before I found my college self. I soon developed a routine for my Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and a separate routine for my Tuesdays and Thursdays. All I did that year was go to school, go to some club meetings to see some friends, and then go home and study. On weekends, I would hang out with old high school friends, so I also developed a routine for that.

There were plenty of new faces to see and meet, new girls to like, and many different cultures and peoples to adapt to. Most of the time, however, I would simply mind my own business as I walked the campus, ignoring all of the fraternity and sorority members handing out flyers for their upcoming parties. I tried not to interact with the students whenever I was out of class because I did not want anything to interfere with my first year of studies. College was expensive so I was not about to waste my time, even if the university was paying for my tuition fees.

All of my old acquaintances disappeared. My true friends were the only ones I kept contact with. With new people surrounding me, I was able to experience a new environment with incredible comfort. Also, with such a huge population, I was able to develop new crushes.

One of my crushes was this one fair-skinned girl with glasses of whom I saw plenty of on a daily basis. Our paths crossed many times in between classes. She would be walking with a backpack and some books in hand, never having noticed me. At one time, I believe that we even attended the same club meeting; however, there was no real moment when we were able to interact with each other.

It was during the winter and spring quarters of 2003 when I saw her most. During the spring quarter, the organization with which I was involved held a joint even with a hip-hop dance troupe and another smaller organization, which involved a basketball tournament and a dance competition. It was among the many events where I volunteered as an active member.

On the night of the dance competition, I finally found myself with nothing to do, having been assigned to guard the door and distribute programs for the start of the night. When I finally sat down, I saw a group of dancers take the stage, representing a branch of the local Chinese student group. The reason I remember noticing them is because of the girl that was involved in the dance routine—it was the same girl whom I had been noticing for months. She was apparently a member of the modern dance group.

I watched in amazement as she showcased her choreographed moves along with her fellow members. From what I recall, her group did not win, but she was the only one that I noticed that night. Automatically, I assumed Chinese-descent for her because of her affiliation, but I still knew nothing about her; I did not know her name, who she hung out with, or where she was from. I did not even know her level of education.

It was not until the following school year when I finally met her face to face, once I became a member of the local Pilipino organization’s cabinet.


I was not able to realize the relationship of this interesting encounter with the entire narration until we finally interacted with each other. She seemed like such an innocent person, unconnected to me. Little did I know, however, that she was to play a major role towards the finishing touches on my little love story. Once I found out who she really was, I realized that maybe there was such a thing as fate, at least in my situation.

No comments: