14 December 2006

Encounter Number Three

It was the beginning of April 2000 and the two of us were still talking on a regular basis. It had been a little while since Jackie had broken up with her boyfriend, and by this time he had all been forgotten. There was no longer mention of him or anything from the past. Neither was there any mention of anything that had ever gone on between Jackie and myself.


Jackie’s high school housed only freshmen and sophomore because it had just been recently opened that school year. Instead of a big prom that usually hosted juniors and seniors, her school opted to host a smaller “Freshmen-Sophomore Prom” that first year. Everyone who was anyone was going, of course, following high school social protocol.

Jackie and her friends decided to all go, but since the advent of Jackie’s recent break-up, she found herself dateless (apparently). So what did she do? She asked me to go with her.

It was during a typical conversation when she had brought it up. She had told me that it was her spring formal. I did not figure it to be such a big deal. I thought she needed a date and I was all she could think of, especially since I felt like I was the only one who talked to her other than her really close friends.

I obliged her request, and just like for her birthday party, I told Adrienne that I was going. Adrienne was okay with it, just like she always was. By this point, Adrienne knew that I had liked Jackie. She knew it was hard for me. She also knew that I still liked her, as well as Jackie. I really thank her for all of her understanding with me. She sent me her best wishes and told me to have fun.

During one of our conversations, Jackie and I spoke about how it was going to work, especially since I did not attend her school. I would have to go over to her house to give her my money for the ticket to the dance, and she and her friends would take care of everything else. All I had to do after that was to show up at her door on the day of the prom.

Not having had been employed at the time, I had to ask my parents for the money. It was not much, just $35 or so. My parents could not tell me no, especially since my older brother had gone to many more expensive high school dances than I had, and my ticket was relatively cheap. I did not have to rent any clothing—tuxedos or suits—and all I needed was for one of them to take me to where I needed to be.

My kind mother provided the money and also provided my transportation to Jackie’s house. To their knowledge, Jackie was probably the closest thing to a girlfriend to me, although I never spoke about any of it in front of them or in front of anybody, actually.

The small trip across town was quick. By side streets, it took about twenty minutes—by freeway would have been longer. It was a Saturday around noon when I arrived at Jackie’s home. I knocked at her door (I rarely ring doorbells so as not to disturb entire households); then someone answered the door. It may have been Jackie’s older sister that did so or it may have been Jackie herself—my memories remain blurred. Whoever it was that answered the door, it did not matter.

I saw Jackie for the third time in my life. We both said hello to each other, I gave her the money, and then we said our goodbyes. It was that quick. I left her front door and walked back to the van. Then, my mom drove home. I do not remember feeling any different after having seen her again. I was not breathing any heavier nor was my heart beating any faster. It was as if I had just visited a normal friend and dropped off a video game or something of that sort. I cannot remember anything else about that day. The memories that I can never forget, however, are those that cover what happened thereafter.

The rest of my story is what I remember the most…

2 comments:

Darren said...

When I was too young to drive, and living in outer suburbia - and going to a private school with a wide drawing area, no less - I also distrusted my parents too much to let them have any access to my emotional state if avoidable.

In other words, I was too embarassed and afraid to admit that I would need them to really drive me anywhere to socialize, and my social life felt pretty constricted for the first two years of high school.

I could never have asked for money for a dance let alone a ride to a girl's house. Never mind that my mom still pries all the time, but back then she had never been told that she's not entitled to run other people's lives.

Darren said...

PS Thanks for the link.