28 March 2007

Then And Now [Part 1]

The winter quarter passed, somewhat all too slowly on the personal portion of my life, and all too quickly on the academic side. It was 2004, and there were two years left before I graduated.

I decided to forget about Jackie from that point on, knowing that there was nothing really left for me to say to her. I may have just been lying to myself, though, because I knew that I wanted to see her still, at least to just see how she was doing, or maybe to just give a proper goodbye. I did not really know what I wanted. The hopelessly romantic side of me wished that fate would give me another twist so that I can just start over again. Lo and behold, a few months later, fate came answering, but the twist was not what I thought it would be.


Towards the beginning of the spring quarter of my second year in college, I had already started hanging out more with the local guys. I had made new friends and acquaintances because of the cabinet position I held with the local Pilipino student organization. It was really a different experience from high school.

Along with some of the soon-to-graduate seniors and a fellow second-year, we formed this so-called “observation deck,” which mostly was a close equivalent to what girls call “girl talk.” In plain terms, it was so that the guys could speak gossip and talk behind the backs of the girls (in the club). Its basis was really questionable to me, but what we discussed opened my eyes. There were things that I did not know about the other members that painted them in a whole new light.

Anyway, during one of our sessions out at the second local Starbucks (there were two within the same plaza, one block apart), someone got to talking about the upcoming banquet. It was an annual banquet to induct newly elected cabinet officers for the club—something I attended the year before (May 2003). This year, as it apparently happened every year, the guys started talking about whom they would be going with.

In short, it was our college equivalent to a prom/formal. I had asked someone the year before, but failed to acquire a date. I went alone, and it was an okay experience. Because I had gained new ties within the club and knew more people my second-year, I was more than willing to try again. The discussion amongst the men boiled down to whom would be the perfect date. (Come to think of it, this may have happened at someone’s house rather than at the Starbucks.)

Everyone started spitting out the names of the most beautiful active women in the club, including a few that I had been “eyeing.” When it became my turn to give a suggestion (and a hint to which girl I would ask), I simply told the truth and said, “Kyleen.”

One of our older friends quickly reacted and ascertained my contribution to the discussion. He admitted that he had overlooked her because she was not as active as the other girls in the club, but she would definitely have been his first choice. Verbally, though, he “let me have” the opportunity to ask her first.


That May 2004, we collaborated with Kyleen’s hip-hop dance troupe and another club to throw a type of sports and dance competition weekend. It was the fourth of its kind. It was the same event where I saw Kyleen perform the year before, catching my attention. For the duties, I was assigned to make the programs that were to be handed out the night of the dance competition, along with a veteran member of our organization. Because of that position, I had very little contact with the rest of the planning committee, and very little contact with Kyleen.

The programs were made, better than the years past they said, and we had our sports/dance weekend. That weekend, we even held a mini competition at the lobby area (of the recreational center) that was fashioned after “Fear Factor.” We had a Red Bull container filled with ice and we were to see who could hold their fist in it the longest. Kyleen actually had the record for the “first round” of trials/qualifications. I believe she sat there for over an hour with her hand in the ice water. (Because I was part of the programs committee, I had a lot of time on my hands to do nothing, with everyone else having been assigned to keep scores at the football and basketball games.)

Kyleen had to go, holding the record. She was unable to “compete” during the second/final round. I was actually looking forward to it in hopes that I would get to compete with her. Long story kept to a minimum, I got into the final round, along with two handfuls of people. We had to keep our hands in the ice, while standing in the middle of the lobby. Then we were given tasks: stand on one leg, carry a can of soda in the other hand, drink and open the soda using that one hand, etc. In the end, I came out the winner. For it, I won $14 and a free event t-shirt (the shirt that everyone used to thaw their hands off).

During the night of the dance competition (Saturday), I waited to make my move to ask Kyleen to the banquet. Before I could do so, my older friend came to me (the one who had wanted to ask her first), and he told me that he already asked her a few minutes beforehand. He could not resist, he said, because the subject came up. I forgave him and congratulated him on being able to have her agree. In turn, I went to the girl who had been second on my list. I asked her and she said yes.

I was a little bummed that Kyleen was not going to be my date for the banquet. And, maybe also a little relieved because it may have been a bit weird with the two of us sharing a mutual “friend” in Jackie.

No comments: